I’ve Got a Chronic Disease Management Plan (CDM) (formerly an Enhanced Primary Care (EPC)). What Next?
So, you’ve just been to see your doctor about a chronic condition. You’ve been put on a Chronic Disease Management Plan (CDM) and have up to five ‘free’ visits with a Physiotherapist.
Let’s break down what this means.
What is a Chronic Disease Management Plan?
A CDM is a plan on the Medicare Benefits Schedule where GPs can plan treatment for patients who suffer from a chronic or terminal medical condition with other medical providers.
Can I get a Medicare Rebate for Physiotherapy?
YES! But there are a few conditions.
1. Firstly, you must meet the criteria, and that is generally centred around ‘chronic’ conditions, meaning something you have had for more than three months.
2. Secondly, you need to have the appropriate referral from your GP, who needs to refer you to a Physiotherapy clinic (hopefully us! We’d love to help!).
How many visits will it cover?
A CDM allows for up to five rebated consultations to any referred medical provider including physiotherapy, podiatry, dietetics, speech pathology etc. Depending on your chronic condition, your GP may refer you for three physiotherapy consultations and two podiatry consultations. Each calendar year, your condition will be assessed by your GP and you will need a new referral to access your free visits.
Is it really free?
YES! At Origin Physiotherapy and Wellness it is completely free. Most other clinics will charge a ‘gap’ payment between the Medicare rebate of $53.80 and their standard full fee. At Origin we have a community give back program where we fully bulk bill for CDM consultations meaning there is no out of pocket expenses.
How does the Medicare EPC rebate process work?
At Origin Physiotherapy and Wellness, the first step is to pay the $53.80 up front. But don’t worry, we use your card that has either a savings or cheque account to refund the $53.80 back into your account from Medicare on the same day or at the very latest, early the next day!
· You can get a Medicare Rebate for Physiotherapy using a CDM plan
· You need a specific GP referral and the right type of physical condition
· You can get $53.80 rebate for up to five visits per year, including all your allied health visits
· There is no gap fee at Origin Physiotherapy and Wellness
· We can process the rebate on-the-spot, straight back into your debit/savings account.
If you have any questions regarding the CDM process, please contact us. Alternatively, your GP can also answer your questions. We look forward to helping you be the best you!